It takes less work than you might think to improve your home and increase its value.
No one wants to spend a fortune when it comes to selling a home, but you may want to spruce up a few areas to make your property more appealing to potential buyers. When it comes to upgrades, remember to focus on simple, clean home improvements that will make your home appear more modern and elegant.
- Install New Countertops – Buyers may examine a kitchen space more closely than bedrooms and bathrooms because this is usually the area where they will spend the majority of their time. Small changes, such as replacing the countertops with a nicer material may be enough to give the space a new and fresh look. Consider using materials that are common in neighboring homes. A buyer may be less likely to purchase a home with tile countertops when the surrounding homes on the market all have granite or marble.
- Replace Hardware and Fixtures – Old, ruddy cabinet handles, kitchen spouts and light fixtures can be a turn off to buyers and make the home seem outdated. Replacing these fixtures with modern hardware is a simple and affordable solution that can be done quickly. Most home improvement stores carry a variety of fixtures and hardware, and you can easily compare costs by doing some research online.
- Refinishing Floors – Updating the floors of your home is another important upgrade to consider as you prepare to sell. Hardwood floors can be refinished for a reasonable price, and you may want to consider shampooing any stained or worn carpets.
- Update the Paint Color – A simple coat of paint can go a long way in livening up a home or a particular room, and the right color can make certain smaller rooms appear more spacious and inviting. Most real estate agents agree that neutral and light or bright colors can make a room stand out, while still giving a clean appearance.
- Install New Doors – You may overlook the appeal of new front, back and side doors, but these features are some of the first things a buyer sees when they visit a home. You may consider painting your current doors to make them stand out or replacing any doors that are outdated or need repairs.
Find more ideas on how to make your home more appealing to potential buyers, or just better to live in on the Coldwell Banker Blue Matter blog.